Welcome to Brentwood
Brentwood is an affluent neighborhood in the Westside of Los Angeles It is the home of seven private and two public schools.Originally part of a Mexican land grant the neighborhood began its modern development in the 1880s and hosted part of the pentathlon in the 1932 Summer Olympics.
San Vicente Boulevard is divided by a wide median on which stand many large coral trees. This green belt replaced a Pacific Electric trolley track, and the trees have been named a City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.
Brentwood features a number of residential subdistricts:
- Brentwood Circle: gated community east of Barrington and north of Sunset
- Brentwood Glen: an area bounded by Sunset, the 405 Freeway, and the Veterans Administration
- Bundy Canyon: home to Mount St. Mary’s College and the Getty Center (though the latter is accessible only from Sepulveda)
- Crestwood Hills: includes a cluster of architecturally significant mid-century modern residences located in the northern part of Kenter Canyon
- Kenter Canyon: the larger canyon containing Crestwood Hills, between Bundy Canyon and Mandeville Canyon
- Mandeville Canyon: westernmost part of Brentwood, north of Sunset; extends about three miles to the north
Each subdistrict is represented by a different homeowners association.
Brentwood’s Barrington Recreation Center has an indoor gymnasium which converts into a small auditorium with a capacity of 250. Outdoors is a lighted baseball diamond, an unlighted baseball diamond, lighted indoor basketball courts, lighted outdoor basketball courts, a children’s play area, a community room, a lighted football field, picnic tables, a lighted soccer field, lighted tennis courts, and lighted volleyball courts. The 1.5-acre (0.61 ha) Barrington Dog Park is on the grounds of the recreation center.
Seventy percent of Brentwood residents aged 25 and older had earned a four-year degree by 2000, a high percentage for the city and the county. The percentages of residents in that age range with a bachelor’s degree or greater were high for the county.
Schools within the Brentwood borders are:
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) operates public schools.
Paul Revere Charter Middle School is Brentwood’s middle school.
The following private schools are located in the Brentwood area:
- Westland School, elementary
- The Mirman School
- Berkeley Hall School, elementary
- Milken Community High School
- Brentwood School, K–12
- Archer School for Girls
- Saint Martin of Tours School, elementary